Okay- I had a lot of fun making my first moss garden. I wanted to make another to give as a birthday gift to my friend Kathy, and thought it would be a chance to post a tutorial. So, lets make it happen.
Kath’s birthday garden.
What you’ll need:
Top: gravel, clean glass jar w/ lid,decorative elements.
Bottom: horticultural charcoal, potting soil,
long tweezers/tongs/scissors, spoon, & moss.
I harvested moss from my yard. (Be considerate.
Don’t remove moss from the forest, or parks.)
1. Add gravel to bottom of clean, dry jar.
2. Sprinkle a thin layer of charcoal.
3. Add potting soil over charcoal, 1/2 an inch or so.
4. Mist soil with water.
5. Gently press moss into place.
6. Add decorative elements, here I’ve used colored
floral marbles and an agate I found at the coast.
7. Water *, and add lid. Place in a nice light spot.
*Limit watering, the humidity created when the lid is added will keep it moist for quite awhile. If it looks dry, only add a small amount- not to exceed 1/4 “